The following hardware configuration is recommended for a sucessful flexiEdge deployment and operation:
- Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 LTS. Download the latest installation from Ubuntu.
- Two CPU cores minimum. 64-bit CPU required, Intel or AMD.
- 4GB RAM minimum, 8GB recommended to be future proof.
- 16GB disk size minimum.
- Two network interfaces are required for flexiWAN. Network adapters must be supported by DPDK and PCIe based. Check the complete list of supported DPDK adapters here.
- LTE and wireless AP are supported however make sure to use hardware confirmed to work with flexiWAN.
- Public or private IP’s on WAN supported, in case of private IP, NAT traversal is used (STUN), enabling establishing tunnels behind NAT.
- IP reachability between router WAN IP’s
- Ubuntu specific settings:
- Set system clock to UTC
- disable transparent hubpages
- disable Ubuntu automatic upgrades
We highly recommend using HW that was certified by flexiWAN.
All of the above settings can be automatically configured by running the system checker tool.
Bare-metal installation considerations:
- NVME/M.2 based storage may not work due limited support in Ubuntu.
- For embedded devices or devices with serial console, make sure to configure the console settings.
- If using serial console, make sure to configure Ubuntu installer to use the serial interface instead of VGA.
- VMware products supported, use vmxnet3 network interfaces for best results.
- KVM and VirtualBox are supported.
- virtio-net interfaces are supported.
- PCI passtrough and SR-IOV are supported (through virtualization host)
- Hardware and software configuration is checked after installation with the fwsystem_checker utility, to verify and fix potential software configuration issues.
- Some of the requirements may be relaxed in future releases.